there's a reason why i'm behind the camera

i don't normally post pictures of myself for a few reasons, but the most annoying one is that i really can't stand having my picture made. i don't mind quick little snapshots every now and then, but getting a "for real" photograph makes me cringe.

is that weird, since i take other people's pictures for a living??
maybe... probably.

when i was taking a photog class a couple of years ago, we would spend the first part of class taking notes, and then afterwards we'd practice photographing each other. i hated it. i'd start sweating, i never wanted to make eye contact with the camera, and the few times i would look into the lens, i'd try to cover up my uneasiness by opening my mouth wide and laughing - a horrible defense mechanism because i have a huge mouth, and my nostrils flare anytime i laugh really hard.

but since i became a mom, i've had this unexplainable desire to have my picture taken with my offspring on mother's day. it's really the only time i truly want my picture taken, and i remind my husband a few times during the day that before they go to bed, he has to get some pictures of me with them. i think about it several days leading up to mother's day, and it's one of my favorite things about the day (well, besides getting a guaranteed sleep-in). but why mother's day? why not at christmas, or some random day in march? who knows. but for whatever reason, i genuinely look forward to it.

even though i hate having my picture made, i know one day i'll want to look back and see their sweet faces with mine, and try to figure out which one kinda-sorta faintly resembles me. and i'm hoping that when they're older they'll want to have pictures of me with them. i guess my brain just shuts off the weird camera phobia on mother's day, and i just do what i normally do with my kids - eat them up. and instead of worrying about how to smile, i feel thankful that we're "freezing" these quick little moments.

so i thought i'd share this year's "portrait session" with you, because i love it so much... i'm eating up the kids, corbin isn't wearing a shirt (and has ink on his belly), and lucy's having a hard time staying still for longer than 3 seconds.

it's totally us, and completely perfect.

and i'm so happy my sweet husband took my picture. :)







Comments

Popular Posts